What You Can Do:
1) Ethical consumption: Educate > Share > Unite > Voice (Silence = Acceptance)
- Buy Local and
- Demand Supply Chain Transparency (hold companies accountable under CA Transparency in Supply Chains Act
- If you are fortunate enough to be able: Please avoid supporting race-to-bottom economic prices...
2) Demand Governments enforce laws, devote the resources the fight against slavery deserves, and hold people & corporations accountable
3) Empower allies & organizations fighting: takes such little time to Support in many ways
Educate > Share > Support > Voice
Supply Chain Transparency
Did you know large retailers and manufacturers (> $100 MM) in CA are under law to provide disclosure on their efforts to eradicate slavery in their supply chains? the 2012 California Transparency in Supply Chains Act (SB 657). CA is one of the Top economies of the world, and Consumers/ Partners can truly help create change by Demanding Accountability.
If you want to report inadequate disclosure: Email SB657@doj.ca.gov.
and Voice concerns about efforts -- often and share
Government Efforts to Know
Co-Sponsored by 123 Republicans, and 3 Democrats -- among them CA 46th district J. Luis Correa (Orange Cty)
Orange County/ Anaheim, location for Disney -- a company with $ Billions in cash and profits,
- infamous user of guestworker visas to replace local workers,
- recently reneged on a commitment to pay workers a bonus, and
- despite huge, rising profits, the "average hourly wages for park employees have been decreasing for more than 15 years" !!
- has dubious distinction of marketing themselves as "happiest place on Earth" while their workers live in Poverty and many face homelessness.
US State department, Trafficking in Persons report
Trafficking Victims Prevention Act, 2000: the first comprehensive federal law to address trafficking
2017/ 2018: Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act (S 1693), and Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (HR 1865)
CA Prop 35: Human Trafficking
National Human Trafficking Hotline (Polaris Project)